The French center-back was a major target for Borussia Dortmund and it now appears that the deal is set to go through in a couple of weeks.
After agreeing to sell Sokratis to Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund was in the market for a new central defender and it now appears that they have tied down their primary target. Abdou Diallo is an intelligent, imposing defender and has been chased by BVB all summer. Still, there seemed to be a bit of difficulty in completing the transfer after Olympique Lyon was in for the player. However, reports are suggesting that the deal is almost through and that a verbal agreement between the player and Favre had happened weeks ago.
More from BVB Buzz
- Borussia Dortmund: Erik ten Hag a potential candidate to replace Lucien Favre
- Borussia Dortmund player ratings from 2-1 win over PSG: Erling Haaland wins BVB the first leg
- Erling Haaland brace gives Borussia Dortmund first leg win over Paris St. Germain
- Watch Borussia Dortmund vs Paris St. Germain: Live Stream, TV channels for Champions League clash
- Borussia Dortmund vs PSG: Key Battles in Champions League clash
Di Marzio has reported that the transfer will happen for a fee of €25million. This is fantastic news for BVB fans especially since Issa Diop, who was rumored to be the alternate, has been snapped up by West Ham. Diop may be the more proven player but Diallo has been phenomenal this season for Mainz. He is strong and at 6’2″, is well equipped to deal with aerial traffic.
As a left-footed defender, he is capable of forming a functional dynamism alongside Manuel Akanji who continues to impress with Switzerland in the World Cup.
These reports are positive and if speculation is to be believed the transfer will be concluded by the 1st of July.
Diallo has garnered a lot of praise and attention in the past few months due to his impressive performances with Mainz and most of it is warranted. The Frenchman captains the France U-21 side and for a good reason. Hopefully, he can bring some of that leadership to a reinvigorated BVB.