Erling Haaland’s first year at Borussia Dortmund saw him score goals and break records for fun. We take a look at some of the numbers behind the striker’s incredible year.
Borussia Dortmund gave fans the perfect Christmas present last year by announcing the arrival of Erling Haaland from RB Salzburg on 29 December, 2020. The move for the highly rated striker was greeted with great excitement from supporters, as the Black and Yellows had beaten the likes of Manchester United and Juventus for his signature. But not even the most optimistic of fans would have anticipated that he would make such a big impact in his first year with the club.
Since joining Borussia Dortmund, Haaland has scored 33 goals in just 32 competitive appearances. He has carried the team on his shoulders at times, proving to be the match-winner on so many occasions. Here are some of the numbers and stats which define Haaland’s sensational first year at Borussia Dortmund.
- The most clinical striker in the Bundesliga: Erling Haaland averages a goal every 75 minutes in the Bundesliga, having scored 23 goals in just 23 appearances. No other player with at least ten goals in the league has a better average.
- Debuts to remember: Erling Haaland has found the back of the net on his debut in every competition he has played in with Borussia Dortmund. The 20 year old scored on his Bundesliga debut against Augsburg, his DFB Pokal debut against Werder Bremen, his Champions League debut against PSG, and his DFL Supercup debut against Bayern Munich.
- A hat-trick on debut: Erling Haaland scored a hat-trick on his Bundesliga debut. Only six other players have achieved that feat. He scored three goals in just 29 minutes against Augsburg.
- 23 goals from just 64 shots: Erling Haaland’s 23 goals in the Bundesliga have come from just 64 shots. He has an incredible conversion rate of 35.9%. Per FBref, the 20 year old’s 23 goals in the Bundesliga have come from just 33 shots on target. His goals have also come from a non-penalty xG of just 15.5.
- Fastest player to reach 15 goals in CL: With 16 goals in just 12 Champions League appearances, Erling Haaland is the fastest player to reach 15 goals in the competition. He already has more CL goals than Ronaldo Nazario, Zinedine Zidane and Miroslav Klose.
- Most goals after 10 CL games: Erling Haaland scored his 12th goal in just his tenth appearance in the Champions League. No player in the history of the competition has scored more goals after 10 appearances.
- Youngest player to reach 16 CL goals: Haaland is also the youngest player in Champions League history to reach 16 goals.
- Second-half specialist: 26 of Haaland’s 33 goals in all competitions have come in the second halves of the matches.
- Four goals in one game: With his four goal haul against Hertha Berlin, Erling Haaland became the youngest player to score four goals in a single game in Bundesliga history.
- Most goals after 22 games: No player in Bundesliga history has ever scored more goals after 22 games than Erling Haaland (23).
- Borussia Dortmund’s leading goalscorer by a margin: Haaland has found the net 17 times this season in just 14 appearances. No other player has scored more than four goals. The striker also has three assists to his name.