Borussia Dortmund will not sign new midfielder despite long-term injury to Axel Witsel

Borussia Dortmund will not be dipping into the transfer market to sign a new midfielder in the January transfer window as a replacement for the injured Axel Witsel.

Axel Witsel tore his achilles tendon during Borussia Dortmund’s Bundesliga clash against RB Leipzig on Saturday. The midfielder is now set to undergo surgery, and is expected to miss the rest of the season. But Michael Zorc is confident that Dortmund have enough options in midfield to fill the void left by the injury to the 32 year old. Speaking to Sport1, the Borussia Dortmund sporting director said:

“We will fill this void with our own personnel. Emre did very well after stepping in as a like-for-like replacement for Axel, and Jude will be back from injury next week. We are not worried about this situation.”

Zorc also confirmed that Witsel will now go to his trusted doctor in Belgium to discuss next steps. “Axel is now going back to his trusted doctor in Belgium,” Zorc said. “There, the next steps will be discussed. It comes down to an operation. He will be out for a longer period.”

Witsel has been ever present for Borussia Dortmund this season, playing in all but two of their games so far. Him being out with a long-term injury is a big blow to Borussia Dortmund’s hopes for the rest of the season. The Belgian international is also a doubt for this summer’s European Championships.

Thomas Delaney, Emre Can, Jude Bellingham, Julian Brandt and Mahmoud Dahoud are the other central midfielders in the Borussia Dortmund squad. While the door could also open up for youngster Tobias Raschl to make his first-team breakthrough.

Jude Bellingham is currently out with a foot injury, but could make his return to training this week. While Mahmoud Dahoud has only been limited to just eight appearances so far this season, and wasn’t included in the squad for the game against RB Leipzig.