News summary
Niko Kovac explained his three absentees after the Roma draw. Maximilian Beier received a knock to his knee at Arsenal.
Muscular trouble for Carney Chukwuemeka persuaded the coach to keep him out of the game, even though he had otherwise been making progress.
Waldemar Anton was simply rested. He rejoins full training on Tuesday.
Lars Ricken made clear that the squad work is unfinished. Speaking on Saturday evening, the managing director said Dortmund want "a bit more quality" and more depth, and the window stays open until 8pm on the 1st September.
Konstantinos Karetsas came out of the weekend best. He had a hand in both goals against Roma, and Kovac has promised the teenager time rather than dropping instant responsibility on an 18-year-old.
Sunday itself was gentler. Squad and families gathered for the annual family day at the Jägerheim, though one player did not hang around long.
Transfer news
Giannis Konstantelias has put pen to paper. The Greek attacking midfielder signed his BVB contract on Sunday evening, then flew back to Thessaloniki with the paperwork between the clubs still being finalised.
Reports put the fee at around €30m, including bonuses. He is 23, came through the PAOK academy, and his FotMob profile shows eight goals and two assists in the Greek top flight last season.
PAOK's ultras are not taking it quietly. The Gate 4 group told the club to keep him in a statement that called the people running the club crooks and traitors.
That is worth taking seriously. Owner Ivan Savvidis blocked a move to VfB Stuttgart late last summer after similar protests, and Konstantelias responded by extending until 2029.
Dortmund pushed on a second front too. Kovac wanted Joey Veerman in central midfield, so BVB activated the release clause in his PSV contract on Sunday rather than let it run down.
Veerman is 27, and his FotMob page lists three Eredivisie titles in a row at PSV. Marcel Sabitzer is the man most obviously squeezed.
Supercup week
Bayern Munich arrive on Saturday. SAT.1, Sky and BVB Netradio will all carry the 8.30pm kick-off at Signal Iduna Park.
Anton rejoins on Tuesday and Kovac then has most of a working week with something close to a full group. Registration for the two new men is another question.
BVB Buzz opinion
The money set aside for Said El Mala is being spent after all. Two players are taking it rather than one, and the squad changes shape more than a single club-record winger would have changed it.
Konstantelias and Veerman fill different holes: one creates in the final third, the other passes from deeper.
BVB Buzz had already argued that losing El Mala carried an upside. Sunday made that argument clear.
The risk is obvious. Neither has played a Bundesliga minute, and both are landing in the week of a Supercup rather than in June.
That is not how Dortmund would have planned things.
The right-back question has not gone away either. Dortmund were reported at the weekend as best placed for Hector Fort, and Ricken's talk of depth points the same way.
Supporters wanted an answer to Friday. Two of them inside a weekend, with a fortnight of the window still to run, is a decent response.
