Michael Zorc: No truth in Julian Brandt to Arsenal rumours

Michael Zorc has denied claims that Julian Brandt could be allowed to leave Borussia Dortmund this month, amid links to Arsenal.

BILD claimed on Thursday that Borussia Dortmund are open to letting Julian Brandt leave on loan this month, in order for him to get more playing time. The German international has also been heavily linked with a move to Premier League side Arsenal over the past couple of weeks. But Michael Zorc has put cold water on those rumours.

Speaking during the pre-match press conference ahead of Borussia Dortmund’s game against RB Leipzig, Zorc said that there is no truth to the Julian Brandt exit rumours.

“There is nothing on the table at the moment. We can’t do anything about rumours that are constantly being spread that simply don’t reflect the truth.”

“Basically, we would look at each situation individually, and also against the economic background, which is currently not rosy due to the pandemic situation, as we know. But there is nothing even remotely on the table.”

The Borussia Dortmund sporting director also added that they aren’t planning to make any major moves in the January transfer window. “Nothing major is planned from our end at the moment,” Zorc said.

Julian Brandt has three and a half years left on his Borussia Dortmund contract. And despite a poor start to the season, he is still highly regarded by the BVB bosses. According to WAZ, Dortmund are still convinced of the qualities of the 24 year old. And they would be reluctant to reduce their squad size in the middle of a compressed season.

Brandt joined Borussia Dortmund from Bayer Leverkusen in 2019, and has one goal and one assist to his name in 22 appearances so far this season.

WAZ add that one player who could possibly leave is Nico Schulz, however it is unlikely that any club would be willing to pay the 25 million euros Borussia Dortmund spent on him in 2019. Like Brandt, Schulz’ contract also expires at the end of the 2023/24 season.