Sebastian Kehl has revealed why Raphael Guerreiro made the decision to leave Borussia Dortmund on a free transfer.
It was revealed on Sunday that Raphael Guerreiro will be leaving Borussia Dortmund when his contract expires at the end of the season, bringing an end to his seven year stint at the club. The left-back was offered a new contract by the BVB bosses, but decided to turn it down in favour of a new challenge.
Borussia Dortmund sporting director Sebastian Kehl spoke about Guerreiro’s exit in an interview with BILD. He revealed that they wanted to keep the Portuguese international at the club, but the length of the contract he wanted was not what they were willing to offer.
"“We made Rapha an improved offer for two years plus an option,” Kehl said. “The talks were always conducted in a fair and correct manner. We would have liked to keep him, but in the end we weren’t able to come to an agreement.”“Here, too, we stand for a clear plan, a direction, because Rapha is about to turn 30 and wanted a contract for an even longer period.”"
With his Borussia Dortmund exit now sealed, Raphael Guerreiro will be able to join another club on a free transfer.
A number of big clubs are said to be interested in signing the 29 year old, including BVB’s title rivals Bayern Munich. It was reported earlier this week that the Bundesliga champions have held talks with Guerreiro, and he can also imagine joining Thomas Tuchel’s side. Atletico Madrid and clubs in the English Premier League are also said to be in the race to sign Guerreiro.
It will be interesting to see what the future holds for Raphael Guerreiro, who joined Borussia Dortmund from FC Lorient in 2016. The Black and Yellows are set to replace Guerreiro with Ramy Bensebaini, who will join the club on a free transfer from Borussia Mönchengladbach.